VIENNA, Nov. 2, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- (Booth #45-46) – West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. (NYSE: WST), a global leader in innovative solutions for injectable drug administration, today announced it will participate in several educational sessions and showcase innovative West product offerings at the Parenteral Drug Association (PDA) Universe of Pre-filled Syringes and Injection Devices in Vienna, Austria, November 3-4, 2015.
"Increased use of biologics, along with better recognition of challenges for patients around self-injection technologies, are driving a shift in the pharmaceutical industry, requiring a more innovative approach to drug containment and delivery," said Mike Schäfers, Vice President, Global Marketing, Pharmaceutical Packaging Systems, West. "At PDA Vienna, we look forward to sharing more about West's unique approach to high-quality packaging, development of patient-focused delivery systems and our connected health collaboration that all aim to meet the needs of the evolving marketplace."
West will participate in the following panel sessions and a presentation exploring the latest innovations and trends in pre-filled syringe technology:
- Tuesday, November 3, 1:20 p.m. – Mike Schäfers will moderate a panel discussion on "Next Generation Pre-filled Systems: New Development Approaches and Component Innovations."
- Wednesday, November 4, 11:30 a.m. – Chris Evans, Vice President, Research and Innovation at West, and Katrina Firlik, Co-Founder and Chief Medical Officer at HealthPrize Technologies, will discuss the two companies' collaboration to encourage greater patient adherence through connected health self-injection systems and gamification technology in the session "Human Factors, Usability and Patient Engagement."
- Wednesday, November 4, 1:35 p.m. – Mike Schäfers will moderate a panel session discussion on "Manufacturing/Fill-Finish & Labelling."
Additionally, West will offer two poster presentations at the conference:
- "The Impact of Components on Drug Quality and Risk Mitigation" – Tibor Hlobik, Global Director, PFS Platform at West.
- "Introducing a Drug Delivery System Based on Ready to Use Cartridge Rubber Components" – Christa Jansen-Otten, Director, Prefillable Syringe Platform at West, and Andrea Zambon, Product Manager EZ-fill Vials & Cartridges, at Ompi.
Pre-Conference workshops on Monday, November 2 will include sessions with Chris Evans as well as Graham Reynolds, Vice President, Marketing and Communications, Pharmaceutical Delivery Systems, West. Additionally, Reinhold Zimmermann, Vice President, Continuous Improvement, Quality, West, and Christa Jansen-Otten will lead courses during the PDA Educational Program on Thursday, November 5.
West will also showcase several innovative drug delivery system and packaging component technologies at Booth #45-46:
- The SmartDose® electronic wearable injector is designed to make it easier for patients to self-administer medication and help encourage compliance with prescribed treatments. West developed the SmartDose injector with extensive human factors analysis to understand and design for preferences and behaviors at various stages of the patient journey. Thousands of doses of injectable therapies have been self-administered by patients using the SmartDose injector in clinical studies.
- NovaPure® plungers – developed incorporating Quality by Design principles – help to ensure the safety, efficacy and purity of injectable drug products and deliver a more consistent rate of injection when used in auto-injector applications. NovaPure offers a new way to meet increasingly stringent quality requirements and ensure device compatibility for self-injection platforms.
For more information, please visit West at the PDA Universe of Pre-filled Syringes and Injection Devices or online at www.westpharma.com.
About West West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc., is a leading manufacturer of packaging components and delivery systems for injectable drugs and healthcare products. Working by the side of its customers from concept to patient, West creates products that promote the efficiency, reliability and safety of the world's pharmaceutical drug supply. West is headquartered in Exton, Pennsylvania, and supports its customers from locations in North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. West's 2014 sales of $1.42 billion reflect the daily use of approximately 110 million of its components and devices, which are designed to improve the delivery of healthcare to patients around the world.
Follow West on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/WestPharma.
SmartDose® is a registered trademark of Medimop Medical Projects Ltd., a subsidiary of West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
West seeks partners for its SmartDose® electronic wearable injector technology platform. This platform is intended to be used as an integrated system with drug filling and final assembly completed by the pharmaceutical/biotechnology company.
NovaPure® is a registered trademark of West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions.
West and the diamond logo and By your side for a healthier world™ are registered trademarks or trademarks of West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
Media Contact Tiffany Burke Global Communications, West Pharmaceutical Services + 1-610-594-3231 Tiffany.Burke@westpharma.com
SOURCE West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.