Weyerhaeuser Shares Sustainability Performance Online
FEDERAL WAY, Wash., June 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Weyerhaeuser Company (NYSE: WY) today announced the publication of its eleventh annual sustainability report. The online report details the company's environmental, social and governance performance, with a focus on areas significant to its long-term success.
Highlights of Weyerhaeuser's 2013 sustainability performance include:
- Operated 73 percent of its sites injury-free and maintained a recordable incident rate of less than one
- Maintained 100-percent certification of its timberlands to sustainable forestry standards
- Rolled out a disciplined program to accelerate people development across the company
- Maintained or made progress on energy, water, air, and waste goals
- Streamlined data collection and simplified report content, focusing on topics important to customers, investors, employees, and communities
- Followed the 'In accordance' - Comprehensive level of the new Global Reporting Initiative's G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines.
Weyerhaeuser has also received numerous third-party awards and recognitions. For the third year in a row, the company was included on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. It also ranked sixth on Corporate Responsibility Magazine's 100 Best Corporate Citizens list and was named one of the World's Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere Institute.
"At Weyerhaeuser, sustainability is how we do business," said Doyle Simons, president and CEO, in his letter to stakeholders. "It all comes back to flawless execution to achieve our vision: working together to grow a truly great company for our shareholders, customers and employees. To us, this means creating a great place to work, achieving great financial results and making a great contribution to society. Our goal is to do all three really well, all the time."
Weyerhaeuser Company, one of the world's largest private owners of timberlands, began operations in 1900. We own or control nearly 7 million acres of timberlands, primarily in the U.S., and manage another 14 million acres under long-term licenses in Canada. We manage these timberlands on a sustainable basis in compliance with internationally recognized forestry standards. We are also one of the largest manufacturers of wood and cellulose fibers products, and we develop real estate, primarily as a builder of single-family homes. Our company is a real estate investment trust. In 2013, we generated $8.5 billion in sales and employed approximately 13,700 people who serve customers worldwide. We are listed on the Dow Jones World Sustainability Index. Our common stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol WY. Learn more at www.weyerhaeuser.com.
SOURCE Weyerhaeuser Company