SALT LAKE CITY, Dec. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Western Governors University (WGU) is now accepting applications for a new online master's degree program aimed at preparing professionals for senior leadership roles in healthcare. Developed in collaboration with a distinguished group of leaders in U.S. healthcare management and policy, the M.S. in Integrated Healthcare Management is competency-based, which allows students to study and learn at their own pace, completing courses as soon as they demonstrate mastery of the subject matter through tests, papers, simulations, and projects.
This new program focuses on the knowledge and skills needed to lead healthcare organizations today, including rapidly changing policy areas such as affordable care, patient protection, and quality assurance. In addition, curriculum includes healthcare finance, collaborative leadership, community health, risk management, information technology, and innovation. Students will complete the program online with individualized faculty support and guidance, with a final capstone project based on a real-world situation in the healthcare industry.
The new program was designed and developed with guidance from a council of experts in healthcare and healthcare policy. Members of the council include:
- The Honorable Michael O. Leavitt, Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2005-2009); Utah Governor (1993-2003); Founder and Chairman, Leavitt Partners
- Dr. Kenneth Sharigian, Senior Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, American Medical Association
- Dr. Arnold Milstein, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Director, Clinical Excellence Research Center, Stanford University
- Dr. Paul B. Handel, M.D., Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Health Care Service Corporation
- Shirley A. Weis, Former Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, Mayo Clinic; President, Weis Associates
- Dr. Paul Keckley, Managing Director, Navigant Healthcare
- Dr. Craig Vanderwagen, M.D., RADM, USPHS, Senior Partner (Retired), Martin-Blanck and Associates; Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2006-2009); Rear Admiral and Chief Medical Officer
- Dr. Brent James, M.D., Executive Director, Institute for Health Care Delivery Research; Vice President, Medical Research and Continuing Medical Education, Intermountain Healthcare
- Craig Miller, Principal Director, IT Strategy, Accenture
"This degree is organized to prepare students for the 21st century, to prepare them for massive changes in healthcare policy and administration, and to put themselves in a position to not just make a living, but to lead," said Mike Leavitt, former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services and Governor of Utah.
For more information about this new degree program, go to www.wgu.edu/MSIHCM.
Now with 64,000 students and 54,000 graduates nationwide, WGU offers more than 50 online, competency-based bachelor's and master's degree programs in business, K-12 teacher education, information technology, and health professions, including nursing. WGU has six state-based universities: WGU Indiana, WGU Missouri, WGU Nevada, WGU Tennessee, WGU Texas, and WGU Washington. These state-endorsed universities offer WGU degree programs and have locally based chancellors and staffs.
Recognized by President Obama as an innovative university that "awards credits based on learning, not seat time," WGU has been named one of Fast Company's "Most Innovative Companies " and has been featured on NPR's "All Things Considered," NBC Nightly News, CNN's "Schools of Thought," and in The New York Times.
WGU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The university has earned the support of more than 20 leading corporations and foundations, including AT&T, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Lilly Endowment, HCA, Hewlett-Packard, Lumina Foundation, Microsoft, Oracle, SunGard Higher Education, USA Funds, and Zions Bank. More information is available at www.wgu.edu or by calling 866.225.5948.
Contact for media inquiries:
Joan Mitchell – VP of Public Relations
Contact for enrollment information:
Video - https://youtu.be/de54VFcEzFE
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/wgu-launches-masters-in-integrated-healthcare-management-300191014.html
SOURCE Western Governors University