Where to Buy Latino Art in Philadelphia
From Traditional to Modern, Latino Art Is On Sale Around Town
PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Latino art thrives in Philadelphia, and it's available for sale at galleries and museums around town. Want a Frida Kahlo print for the living room? It's waiting at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. In the market for an original oil painting in the magical realism style of Orlando Quevedo? The Cuban artist's NoLibs gallery delivers. Maybe only a Day of the Dead doll will do? Eyes Gallery offers just the thing. Here's a look at where to buy Latino art in Philadelphia:
- A visit to the community-based arts and cultural organization Taller Puertorriqueno means a visit to its Julia de Burgos Books and Crafts Store, a top spot for original Latino artwork, crafts, handmade jewelry and collectibles. The only bilingual bookstore of its kind in the tri-state region, the store -- named for one of Puerto Rico's and Latin America's prominent poetic voices -- is also home to Galeria Lorenzo Homar, dedicated to Latin American and Caribbean art. The gallery's permanent collection includes works by Ralfka Gonzalez, Lorenzo Homar, Myrna Baez, Nitza Trufino, Jose Alicea and many more. 2721 N. 5th Street, (215) 426-3311, tallerpr.org
- Inspired by Peter Paul Rubens, Velazquez and Rembrandt, Cuban artist Orlando Quevedo showcases his striking works of magical realism at the Orlando Quevedo Gallery in Northern Liberties. In the U.S. since 1993, Quevedo was awarded first prize in the International Young Artist Exhibitions in Moscow and Havana at age 15. His original oil paintings channel masters such as Picasso, Chagall and Van Gogh in a dramatic light-filled Baroque style. 433 W. Girard Avenue, (267) 439-3583, myspace.com/orlandoquevedo
- Founded by artists Isaiah and Julia Zagar in 1968, the Eyes Gallery specializes in Latin American crafts, textiles and exotic jewelry from Mexico, Peru, Haiti and elsewhere in South America and the Caribbean. From colorful Day of the Dead figurines and dolls to pottery from celebrated artist Josefina Aguilar, the Eyes Gallery offers three floors of hand-picked fair-trade items from around the globe. 402 South Street, (215) 925-0193, eyesgallery.com
- A vivid palette of global folk and contemporary art decorates the showroom at Indigo Arts, featuring the finest international folk and contemporary art from Latino hotspots such as Cuba, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua and Brazil. One gallery spotlights Cuban self-taught and trained artists, including Osvaldo Castillo, Fito (Adolfo Flores Gonzalez), Arnaldo Garcia Rodriguez and Luis Joaquin Rodriguez Arias, among others. 1400 N. American Street, (215) 765-1041, indigoarts.com
- Prints by Frida Kahlo and Pablo Picasso are on sale at the expansive Philadelphia Museum of Art gift shop, along with Mexican crafts and hand-carved and hand-painted wooden animals from Oaxaca, Mexico. 26th Street & Benjamin Franklin Parkway,
(215) 763-8100, philamuseum.org
The Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation (GPTMC) makes Philadelphia and The Countryside® a premier destination through marketing and image building that increases business and promotes the region's vitality.
For more information about travel to Philadelphia, visit visitphilly.com or uwishunu.com, where you can build itineraries; search event calendars; see photos and videos; view interactive maps; sign up for newsletters; listen to HearPhilly, an online radio station about what to see and do in the region; book hotel reservations and more. Or, call the Independence Visitor Center, located in Historic Philadelphia, at (800) 537-7676.
SOURCE Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation
More by this Source
Lights, Camera, Holidays: Where to See Philadelphia All Aglow
Oct 29, 2013, 12:45 ET
Many Philadelphia Attractions Open During Government Shutdown
Oct 01, 2013, 19:06 ET
African-American Exhibits, Shows & Performances Highlight Philly's Fall Arts Calendar
Sep 24, 2013, 09:45 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.