CHARLOTTE, N.C., June 10, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- As customers crank up their cooling systems to combat sweltering temperatures heading to the Carolinas this weekend, Duke Energy offers customers these suggestions for managing energy costs to save money this summer:
- Set your AC to the lowest comfortable setting. Every degree increase saves you about 5 percent in cooling costs. Energy Star recommends a minimum set point of 78 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Change or clean your air filters monthly. A dirty air filter can make a cooling system work harder, which uses more energy.
- Inspect and service your HVAC. Make sure your HVAC system is ready to keep you cool by having it checked by a qualified heating and air conditioning contractor.
- Don't cool an empty house. If you'll be out and about, program your thermostat to work around your schedule.
- Close the blinds. Shutting drapes and shades during the hottest part of the day can keep the sun's rays from heating your house.
- Grill outdoors. Cooking in the oven and on the stovetop creates a lot of indoor heat. Help save energy by firing up the grill outdoors or prepare meals that don't require cooking.
- Use fans in occupied rooms. They circulate air to supplement air conditioning. Make sure they are set to operate in a counterclockwise direction.
- Turn off unnecessary lights. And, use energy-efficient light bulbs that use less electricity and emit less heat.
- Seal air leaks with caulking and weather stripping. And keep the door closed as much as you can to keep the cool air inside.
Duke Energy offers energy-efficiency products, services and information to help customers save energy and money. For more information visit duke-energy.com and click on Save Energy and Money.
About Duke Energy
Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Duke Energy is a S&P 100 Stock Index company traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DUK. More information about the company is available at duke-energy.com.
The Duke Energy News Center serves as a multimedia resource for journalists and features news releases, helpful links, photos and videos. Hosted by Duke Energy, illumination is an online destination for stories about remarkable people, innovations, and community and environmental topics. It also offers glimpses into the past and insights into the future of energy.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/while-the-heat-is-on-outside-save-inside-300283200.html
SOURCE Duke Energy