LAS VEGAS, Jan. 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The world's leading global manufacturer and marketer of major home appliances will showcase some of its most innovative products at the International Builders Show from Jan. 19-21, and provide builders with exclusive insights into the vital role millennials play in the home building market.
"By arming builders with the powerful insights they need to sell to the largest growing demographic and by designing purposeful appliances that meet the needs of the consumer, Whirlpool Corporation continues to be a strong appliance partner for builders," said Bob Bergeth, general manager of Contract Builder Sales at Whirlpool Corporation.
Millennials will make up 35 percent of home buyers in 2016 and their purchase habits have given them trend-setter status for many of the top kitchen and laundry appliances. To help the company understand the young professional age group in terms of motivations and barriers to a home purchase and the importance of specific household design elements, Whirlpool Corporation partnered with TRI Pointe Group, Metrostudy, Hanley Wood and Ketchum Global Research & Analytics (KGRA) on a study as part of the Builder TRI Pointe Responsive Home project.
- Outdoor space is the No. 1 "must-have," followed by an open kitchen
- 53 percent of respondents classified an open kitchen as an essential home feature
- Customization is very appealing to the majority of millennials
- On average, they will spend one-fifth of their home-buying budget on customizations suited to their needs
- While renovations can be intimidating, the majority are willing to renovate
- On average, millennial home buyers plan to spend 22 percent of their total budget on renovations
The data is brought to life at this year's show with the actualization of the Responsive Home project: a Contemporary Farmhouse and Contemporary Transitional home, located in the Inspirada master planned community in Henderson, Nev.
Based on detailed market research, the two homes incorporate the design and features most desirable to the millennial demographic. Built by the TRI Pointe Group's Pardee Homes unit, designed by architecture firm Bassenian Lagoni with Design Director Bobby Berk, the Responsive Home is equipped with the latest products from Whirlpool Corporation brands.
- Jenn-Air® Connected 30" Double Wall Oven with V2TM Vertical Dual-Fan Convection System: As the desire for connectivity and customization increases, this sleek, dual convection wall oven features wireless connectivity and an app for IOS and Android devices that gives users control of the oven's functions and performance.* Among many features accessible via the app is the Jenn-Air® Culinary Center, an interactive, image-driven system that uses the oven's advanced cooking system, a series of precise algorithms, and chef-tested cooking programs to give cooks the ultimate control in achieving desired results. A "My Creations" feature allows users to save the settings for their favorite recipes.
- Jenn-Air® TriFectaTMDishwasher: At just 46 dBA, the dishwasher works quietly in a completely open kitchen. Its powerful, yet quiet performance combines a host of thoughtful features, including a built-in water softener.
- Whirlpool®HybridCare™ Heat Pump Dryer: Compared to typical dryers that use large amounts of energy in the form of venting hot, moist air, this dryer is a ventless heat pump dryer that uses a refrigeration system to dry and recycle the same air. When using the Eco Dry setting, the dryer uses up to 73 percent less energy** utilizing a revolutionary refrigeration system to dry and recycle the same air.
The Whirlpool Corporation Global Consumer Design centers study the cultures, behaviors and needs of consumers of all ages around the world, and have learned the various ways millennials have sparked changes in the appliance market. These consumers are bringing an optimism that influences design and leads to a willingness to take chances, creating the need for additional options and demand for an experience through their appliances, such as with new colors.
"We know there is a strong demand for an open concept in homes, which includes integration with appliances beyond the kitchen," said Pat Schiavone, vice president, Global Consumer Design, who will also be on hand to share additional design preferences at the show.
"Home floor plans have changed, and Whirlpool Corporation helps builders adjust to the open concept with new design options and appliances that adjust to the environment, such as the remarkably quiet Jenn-Air® TriFectaTMDishwasher that's only 46 decibels," he said.
Show attendees can experience the latest product innovations and gain additional insights at booth P1.9 in the Outdoor Exhibits area and at the two Responsive Homes, open to the public for tours at Pardee Homes at Inspirada, 3077 Lascari Avenue Henderson, NV 89044.
*Requires Wifi and account creation. App features and functionality subject to change. Subject to Terms of Service available at: www.jennair.com/connect. Data rates may apply.
**Compared to pre-2004 traditional dryers, when paired with a matching washer, Normal cycle, electric only.
ABOUT WHIRLPOOL CORPORATION
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the number one major appliance manufacturer in the world, with approximately $20 billion in annual sales, 100,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers throughout the world. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in more than 170 countries. Additional information about the company can be found at whirlpoolcorp.com, or find us on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.
SOURCE Whirlpool Corporation