Wind Creek Wetumpka Readies to Open Tuesday Deluxe Casino and Hotel Development Heralds New Era of Entertainment for Region
WETUMPKA, Ala., Dec. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Wind Creek Wetumpka, a luxury casino and hotel development built on the banks of the stunningly beautiful Coosa River, will open its doors to the public for the first time Tuesday. An official "ribbon cutting" ceremony is scheduled for 11:30AM. The project is owned by the Poarch Band of Creek Indians and managed by PCI Gaming Authority.
BROADCAST QUALITY VIDEO OF PREPARATIONS FOR OPENING DAY AT THE NEW CASINO CAN BE ACCESSED AT: http://windcreekwetumpka.com/Press-and-Sponsors
Poarch Creek Tribal Chairman Buford L. Rolin remarked, "The opening of Wind Creek Wetumpka is a new beginning in many ways." He continued, "Not only are we opening the doors of a beautiful new property, but a lot of our Tribal Members and neighbors in the area are starting new jobs there that will support their families and allow them to send their children to college. We, as a Tribe, are tremendously proud to be able to provide both a lovely new attraction for visitors to our State and jobs in the region." Wind Creek Wetumpka is a 20-story, deluxe hotel and casino that features 283 rooms (each with a river view), 85,000 feet of gaming space, 2,520 electronic gaming machines, and a 16,000 gallon shark tank at the casino's bar. The property also boasts 5 restaurants, including the Fire, a premium steakhouse and "northern sister" of Wind Creek Atmore's Fire restaurant.
Construction on the development began in May of 2012. Over 18 months, more than 800 workers contributed an estimated 1.4 million man-hours to the project. Payroll during this period exceeded $100 million.
Jay Dorris, President of PCI Gaming noted, "Wind Creek Wetumpka is a significant and positive economic impact on this area and the State. We have been able to hire people when jobs are tight and we look forward to working with our employees and our neighbors to make Wind Creek Wetumpka one of the finest gaming resorts in the country.
Wind Creek Wetumpka's hotel will begin opening floors in phases starting on Tuesday. It is slated to be completely open by mid-February. Once fully operational, the development is expected to employ an estimated 1,100 people (full-time and part-time) with a $34 million annual payroll. Wind Creek Wetumpka is also expected to spur the growth of small businesses that service and supply the development.
"Wind Creek Wetumpka is a lot like the river it's built on," said WCW's property manager, Cody Williamson. "The Coosa's beauty and benefits reach far into the State, and that's what we hope will be the case with Wind Creek Wetumpka. We are hoping that folks across Alabama will benefit from our efforts to make the State a destination spot, keep tourist dollars right here at home, and provide good jobs."
The attached FACT SHEET provides more detailed information about Wind Creek Wetumpka.
The Poarch Band of Creek Indians are descendants of the original Creek Nation, which once covered almost all of Alabama and Georgia. The Tribe owns several other businesses in Alabama including Wind Creek Casino & Hotel in Atmore, AL and Creek Casino Montgomery.
Features and Amenities
- 85,000 feet of gaming floor
- 2,520 games
- Five restaurants featuring 29,400 sq. ft. of dining space manned by 375 food and hospitality staff (restaurant specifics to follow)
- Five deluxe meeting spaces of various sizes
Hotel: (Slated to fully open in mid-February. Floors opening in phases beginning 12/17)
- 20 floors
- 283 luxury rooms
- 24-hour room service
- Luxury pool
- Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Groundbreaking: May of 2012
Cost to Build: $246 million
- More than 800 construction workers hired
- 1.4 million work hours
- Payroll exceeded $100 million over 18 months
Materials Required to Build:
- 2,500 tons of steel
- 18,000 cubic yards of concrete (casino and hotel)
- 32,900 cubic yards of concrete (parking garage)
Initial Economic Impact
- More than 1,100 full and part-time employees
- Expected annual payroll of $34 million (includes more than $2 million dollars in payroll taxes alone.)
- The city of Wetumpka will receive $1.97 million from PCI Gaming Authority by January 1st. The contribution will help to fund city services such as fire and police operations as well as other infrastructure needs.
WCW – Interesting and Innovative
Sharks at the Bar
16,000-gallon dramatic saltwater aquarium by casino bar. Stocked with 4 Bonnethead (Hammerhead) sharks and 5 Stingrays from Florida Keys, and 250 other tropical fish from the Caribbean.
Fish at the Buffet
1,600-gallon tank by buffet stocked with 125 tropical fish from the South Pacific.
Fish were selected to include top, middle, and bottom water swimmers so the aquarium space will be used from top to bottom.
Both tanks supported by an LED lighting system that simulates natural weather and day/night light cycles.
Air Conditioning System: First of its Kind -- Innovative and Effective
Twelve roof-mounted air handlers, (each the approximate size of a small mobile home) will provide 300,000 cubic feet of conditioned air 24/7.
Innovative Engineering Features:
- WCW has successfully paired a pressurized under-floor air conditioning supply system with raised floor panels (that support over a ton of weight per square foot). The two features are integrated into one highly effective system through a customized gaming machine base.
- The WCW system produces "gentle air" that is draft-less and conditioned to guests' comfort while alleviating cigarette smoke by drawing it straight up through the ceiling. Conversely, standard systems usually deal with smoke by blowing it sideways in space potentially occupied by other guests.
- The innovative system was prototyped and developed at Creek Casino Montgomery property last year as part of PCI's on-going commitment to provide the highest indoor air quality while, at the same time, accommodating guests who smoke.
Dining Choices at WCW
Sister restaurant to Fire at Wind Creek Atmore. Serves prime choice steaks & Alabama Gulf seafood. 2,400 square foot restaurant that seats 80 guests.
Open: Tuesday - Thursday 5 pm - 10 pm Friday & Saturday 5 pm - 11 pm
All-American favorites with a southern accent. Open: 24/7
A sumptuous buffet offering more than 110 items that feature top choices in southern and international cuisines to 300 guests.
Open: Monday – Wednesday, 11am – 10 pm
Thursday 7am – 10 and 11am – 10pm
Friday & Saturday 11am – 3pm and 4pm -11pm
Sunday 10am – 3am and 4pm – 11pm
Tasty, quick options such as sausage and egg biscuits, corndogs, muffins, desserts and fresh fruit.
Fine coffees & pastries. Open: Daily, 6 am – 6pm
SOURCE Wind Creek Casino