ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., Dec. 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- As millions of Americans plan to travel for the New Year's weekend, Winter Storm Fortis will bring heavy snow, rain and high winds to the Northeast, including New York, where many will gather to ring in the new year. Leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth, explains coverage for this storm and future winter storms.
Too Late to Get Travel Insurance for Winter Storm Fortis
- As of December 28th, it is too late to buy travel insurance to provide coverage related to Winter Storm Fortis, now that it has been named by The Weather Channel
- Travelers who purchased a travel insurance policy before December 28th may be covered to cancel or interrupt their trip, due to travel delays related to the storm, once they meet their policy requirements
When to Buy Travel Insurance for Future Winter Storms
- Travel insurance policies must be purchased before any storm is named, this includes winter storms named by The Weather Channel, after that point, the storm is considered foreseeable by travel insurance providers
- Policies can be purchased up until the day before a traveler's departure if a storm has not been named
What Travel Insurance Can Cover for Future Winter Storms
- If a traveler wants to cancel a trip they can be covered for prepaid and non-refundable trip costs once a flight has been delayed by weather for at least 12-48 consecutive hours, depending on the policy
- If a traveler's flight is delayed, they can be reimbursed for meals, hotel costs and local transportation fees once their flight has been delayed for at least 3-12 hours, depending on the policy
- If a traveler misses a connecting flight or cruise, they can file for reimbursement of costs associated with catching up to the rest of the trip
- If a traveler wants to interrupt a trip and return home they can be covered for prepaid and non-refundable trip costs once a flight has been delayed by weather for at least 12-48 consecutive hours, depending on the policy
Squaremouth compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth's comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare insurance products side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.
Available Topic Expert:
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/winter-storm-fortis-too-late-to-buy-travel-insurance-for-northeast-blizzard-300384024.html