HARRISBURG, Pa., April 26, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In recognition of the small business community's significant contributions to Pennsylvania's economy, the Department of Community and Economic Development is hosting Pennsylvania Small Business Week, May 1-7, 2016 to celebrate entrepreneurs and small business owners for their contributions to Pennsylvania's economy, and draw attention to the resources available to support them.
"The small business community in Pennsylvania is integral to our economy, employing nearly half of the state's private sector workforce," Department of Community and Economic Development Secretary Dennis Davin said. "Pennsylvania is equipped to help turn dreams into small business opportunities, unlocking the door to successful business growth and expansion, and ultimately creating jobs that pay throughout the commonwealth."
Pennsylvania is home to nearly one million small businesses, employing 2.4 million individuals, and plays a vital role in Pennsylvania's economy, accounting for 98.2 percent of businesses in the state.
As a part of the week-long celebration, small business-owners can participate in DCED's Small Business Web Series and other entrepreneurial educational programs giving participants an opportunity to see the reach that DCED has to help the commonwealth's small business community. Each free, 60-minute webinar in the series will be presented by experienced small business consultants providing guidance on a variety of topics:
- Monday, May 2 (12:00-1:00 PM) – Starting a Small Business, presented by Keith D. Yurgosky, MBA, business consultant, The University of Scranton Small Business Development Center.
- Tuesday, May 3 (12:00-1:00 PM) – Financing a Small Business, presented by John Reichard, SEDA-COG.
- Wednesday, May 4 (12:00-1:00 PM) – Leveraging LinkedIn to Supercharge Prospecting, Referrals and Sales, presented by Jeff Teschke, founder and CEO, Forge3.com.
- Thursday, May 5 (12:00-1:00 PM) – Exploring New Market Opportunities, presented by Cris Pierce, government contracting manager, Northwest Commission Procurement Technical Assistance Center and Dorte Heffernan, manager, International Trade Program, Northwest Pennsylvania Regional Planning and Development Commission.
- Friday, May 6 (12:00- 1:00 PM) – Taking Your Business to the Next Level, presented by Leo Gilroy, director of innovation and strategy, NEPIRC and Kenneth Okrepkie, regional manager, Ben Franklin Technology Partner of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
The importance of small businesses is evident in a variety of business sectors and DCED is equipped to provide financial and technical assistance to help stimulate innovation, growth, and job creation through a variety of programs and partnerships.
The assistance of hundreds of trained and experienced experts can be found through the Partnerships for Regional Economic Performance (PREP) which meets the demands of existing companies that seek assistance in all aspects of successful business development and growth, including expansion into new markets and across boarders; the Ben Franklin Technology Partners which provides early-stage technology businesses with access to funding and technical expertise; and the Small Business Champion Network which provides a vast toolbox of resources, including the comprehensive Entrepreneur's Guide.
Additionally, DCED's Pennsylvania Industrial Development Authority (PIDA) provides much needed capital to a variety of small businesses, and is currently offering historically low interest rates.
For a complete list of events and resources taking place throughout the commonwealth, visit newPA.com/PASmallBiz. You can also follow along or participate in the conversation by using #PASmallBiz16.
Pennsylvania Small Business Week is a part of a national recognition of entrepreneurs and small business owners across the country. Since 1963, the President of the United States has issued a proclamation announcing National Small Business Week, an initiative led by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
MEDIA CONTACT: Lyndsay Kensinger, 717-783-1132
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/wolf-administration-celebrates-pennsylvania-small-business-may-1-7-300257594.html
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Community & Economic Development