Workcation: 79 Percent Take Work-Related Devices on Vacation
New data from Neverfail's Mobile messaging trends study supports latest independent facts from Osterman Research: workers feel the need to stay connected on vacation
AUSTIN, Texas, May 26 /PRNewswire/ -- As workers prepare to pack up their cars and head to the beach to kick off the summer vacation season, many will see to it that their mobile device is right there next to the towel and sunscreen. According to the second annual Mobile Messaging Study conducted by Osterman Research and commissioned by Neverfail®, seventy-nine percent of respondents admitted to taking their work-related device with them on vacation.
In an on-demand, constantly connected culture, it has become the norm for some workers to receive hundreds or even thousands of emails per day. And according to a new, independent study conducted by Osterman Research, forty-one percent of survey respondents admit to being email "packrats," so it comes as no surprise that many workers are packing their email to come along with them on vacation, ensuring that they won't return to an overwhelming pile of email upon their return to the office.
According to CareerBuilder's 2009 vacation survey, nearly one in five workers fear losing their jobs if they go on vacation or feel guilty being away from the office, and the recession is another factor pushing workers to go to extreme measures to check email. In fact, more than one-third of respondents to the Mobile Messaging Study admit to hiding from friends and family to check email while on vacation, and nearly half admitted to traveling up to 10 miles just to check email during a vacation.
- "Mobile messaging has become crucial to businesses and employees alike, but constant access to email makes it difficult for some workers to unwind," said Michael Osterman, president of Osterman Research. "Mobile access to email is certainly a critical aspect of how we do business now, but it is important to remember that there is a time and place for everything."
- Seventy-nine percent of respondents have taken their work-related device with them on vacation
- More than one-third of respondents admit to hiding from friends and family in order to check email on vacation.
- Nearly half of survey respondents admitted to traveling up to 10 miles just to check email during a vacation.
- More than one-third of respondents admit to checking mobile email even during such vacation activities as skiing, horseback riding and biking.
- Respondents report spending an average of 147 minutes using email per day, and just 54 minutes on the telephone.
Neverfail® is a leading global software company providing continuous availability and disaster recovery for critical Windows-based applications in physical, virtual or mixed environments. Continuous availability blends high availability, disaster recovery and data protection software with best practice monitoring and automation. Neverfail's predictive approach protects businesses during both IT outages and planned maintenance. Regardless of the type of problem, from a single component failure to a full site disaster, critical business applications remain constantly available to information workers. With Neverfail, users remain continuously connected to applications such as Microsoft® Exchange, SQL Server, File Server, IIS, SharePoint, VMware VirtualCenter, RIM BlackBerry® Enterprise Server and IBM® Lotus® Domino®. More information can be found at www.neverfailgroup.com.
For more information, please contact:
Tel: +44 (0) 870 777 1500
Tel: +44 (0) 208 392 4054
Mobile: +44 (0) 791 224 1378
Mobile: +44 (0) 772 576 1451
Neverfail is a trademark of Neverfail Group Limited. All other trademarks, including Microsoft, Windows, and Exchange, are trademarks of their respective companies. Copyright © 2009 Neverfail Group Ltd. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, transmitted, transcribed, or translated into any language or computer language, in any form or by any means without prior express, written consent of Neverfail Group Limited.
More by this Source
Neverfail Announces Customer Momentum with IT Continuity Architect
Nov 21, 2013, 09:00 ET
Neverfail Wins "Best of VMworld 2013" Gold Award for New Technology
Aug 28, 2013, 15:00 ET
Neverfail Releases Technical Preview of IT Continuity Architect for Download
Aug 22, 2013, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.