Developments in the past several years have propelled POF as a leading contender with copper wire for high speed data and video applications.
The market for POF could never be brighter with the trend to all opticalnetworks, need for higher bandwidth, EMI protection, lower cost, lighter weight, ease of use and other factors. POF's main competitor copper is fast running out of steam. New applications are starting to appear in data centers, commercial aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), Internet of Things (IoT), machine vision, sensors for structural health monitoring, and home networking for Ultra High Definition TVs (UHD TV/4K and 8K), to only name a few.
We forecast sustained growth and opportunities in the Plastic Optical Fiber (POF) market. Major developments in these new applications are providing the key drivers pushing POF technology into the mainstream.
Major factors behind this sharp increase in market demand are the need for lower-cost interconnections, increased performance requirements (higher speeds),introduction of digital electronics, electromagnetic noise and interference, and the development of standards.
In addition, POF technology has shown dramatic developments in lower loss and higher performance, due to the recent commercialization of new perfluorinated (PF) graded index (GI) and PMMA GIfibers, and of new optical sources.
The market and technology assessment study includes both updated and new market information.
- Updated market forecasts through 2020
- Estimates of Over-the-Top connected devices through 2017
- Optical interfaces using GI POF for consumer Ultra High Definition Video
- Visible LEDs for up to 5 Gbps short reach transmission over SI POF
- 110 Gbps POF link for ultra HD television
- Home networking for Ultra High Definition TVs(UHD TV/4K and 8K)
- Silicon for Gigabit POF data links
- New polystyrene GI POF
- New ITU POF home network standard
- New ball point pencil connectors
- Active Optical Cables using POF
- Applications of POF sensors for structuralhealth monitoring
- Application of POF for commercial air planes, UAVs and robotics
- Newly published cost comparison of Fiber vs. Copper study
- New materials for high temperature POF
- 40 Gbps POF receivers developed
Key Topics Covered:
2.0 Why POF?
3.0 Comparison Between Copper, GOF, and POF
4.0 POF Historical Development and Organization
5.0 Technical Characteristics of POF Fibers Systems
6.0 Light Sources
7.0 Optical Connectors and Splicing
9.0 POF Cables
10.0 Integrated Optics
12.0 Fiber Bragg Gratings
13.0 Optical Amplifiers
14.0 Test Equipment
15.0 POF Systems - Ethernet Example
16.0 POF Hardware for Ethernet
17.0 Illustrative Examples of POF Data Communications Applications
18.0 POF Cost Comparisons
19.0 POF and Related Standards
20.0 Components and Testing
21.0 POF Components - Present Status
22.0 POF Suppliers
23.0 POF Component Price Trends
24.0 Market Drivers
25.0 POF Markets and Forecasts
26.0 POF Activities in Various Countries
27.0 Opportunities in the Emerging POF Business
28.0 Strategies for Success in the POF Market
- Asahi Glass
- Asahi Kasei
- Fuji Film
- Jiang Daisheng Co. Ltd.
- Mitsubishi Rayon
- OFS-Fitel (now Chromis Fiber Optics)
- Redfern Polymer (Cactus Fiber) (Kiriama)
- Sekisui Chemical Company
- Shenzhen Dasheng Optoelectronic Technology Co. Ltd.
- Toray Industries Inc.
For more information about this report visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/g6jw6q/plastic_optical
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call +1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/world-plastic-optical-fiber-market--technology-assessment-study-2016-2020-with-estimates-of-over-the-top-connected-devices-through-2017---research-and-markets-300374415.html
SOURCE Research and Markets