EVERGREEN, Colo., Dec. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Wowza Media Systems, LLC, provider of Simply Powerful Streaming™ media server software, announced today the results of a study that explores the "second screen" behaviors of 500 television viewers. Fifty percent of those surveyed were in the highly desirable 23 to 39 age group that possesses a considerable amount of purchasing power.
Surprisingly, forty percent of respondents have engaged with a TV show's second screen app, showing the power of engagement with second screen content since these apps are relatively small in number. Almost three-quarters of those surveyed confirmed engaging with a TV show's second screen application makes them more likely to watch the program again. This finding is an important point proving the need for TV networks and marketers to further develop second screen application deployments in an effort to retain, engage and grow their audiences.
According to Nielsen data, people in the U.S. spend an average of 34 hours a week in front of the television. With the immediate access to information offered by today's smartphone and tablet devices, users are increasingly multi-tasking while they watch TV.
Key highlights from the Wowza Media Systems study:
- 40% of respondents have engaged with a TV show's second screen app.
- 72% of those engaging with a show's social media page or application report it encourages them to watch the show again.
- Majority of respondents, 65%, report spending more than three hours of TV per day.
- Engagement on social media sites was the most common reported activity among those using a second screen. 62% of respondents stated they used social media "sometimes" or "always" while viewing, with 36% of the total respondents reporting they "sometimes" or "always" read blog content about the show.
- Usage of apps from networks is more common than show-specific apps, with 85% of second screen app users reporting they engaged with apps from such networks as MTV, PBS, NFL, CBS, ESPN, etc.
- When asked what type of social media they utilize when watching TV, 82% of respondents said Facebook, followed by 39% with Twitter.
- 60% of respondents report regularly engaging in their personal social media sites while watching TV.
"Our survey illustrates the impact of second-screen viewing, and provides data that savvy advertisers and broadcasters can use to benefit from the phenomenon," said David Stubenvoll, CEO and Co-Founder of Wowza. "For example 40% of our respondents said they have engaged with a TV show's app, which represents a big opportunity for advertisers to reach an engaged audience in real time. This is an astounding number given the relatively few show-specific apps that are available."
To view the complete survey results, visit https://www.instant.ly/report/51f8058fe4b0239ce08e32e7.
About Wowza Media Systems
Wowza Media Systems, LLC (www.wowza.com) engages hundreds of millions of viewers by delivering the highest quality streaming media to any Internet-connected device. Its core product, Wowza Media Server, improves productivity among thousands of organizations by simplifying the workflow of online video delivery. To date, more than 150,000 licensees across the globe have placed their trust in Wowza. Wowza is privately held, with offices in Evergreen, Colorado, and Mountain View, California.
Wowza® and related marks are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Wowza Media Systems LLC. Third-party product names and related marks are either registered trademarks or trademarks of such third parties.
SOURCE Wowza Media Systems, LLC