Yankee Group's 2014 Predictions: Consolidation To Hit Mobile Markets as Vendors Compete To Improve Mobile User Experience Although the mobile industry continues to grow by leaps and bounds, 2014 will see the mobile ecosystem reach a tipping point that will leave many vendors--both new and old--affected by market consolidation.
BOSTON, Dec. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In the new report "2014 Predictions: Mobility Hits a Tipping Point as Markets Consolidate, Players Build Out Capabilities," Yankee Group looks ahead to 2014 and sees that while mobility will continue to become more entrenched in the everyday lives of consumers, the mobile ecosystem is due to consolidate, while rival companies compete to deliver consumers an enhanced mobile experience. As the market matures over the upcoming year, many segments will begin to weed out the weaker players in each field as vendors vie for market traction.
"The mobile ecosystem has been experiencing dramatic growth for a number of years now. But in 2014, several segments—namely mobile commerce, mobile app development and mobile broadband—will reach a tipping point as consolidation works to pare down the market," said Declan Lonergan, Yankee Group VP of research and co-author of the report. "We expect to see new entrants and established players alike exit their respective markets. Elsewhere, the onward march of mobility into everyday lives will continue unabated."
Yankee Group's 2014 mobility predictions are:
1. More than half of MNOs in developed markets will offer their own IP communications apps.
2. Mobile video watching will match PCs and begin to approach DVR/TV levels.
3. More vendors will exit than enter the saturated mPos market.
4. Marketing investment for mobile customer experience measurement will take center stage.
5. The MBaaS segment will become polarized and undergo a 'survival-of-the-fittest' scenario.
6. Kony will put itself up for sale.
7. By year end, 70 percent of Tier 1 MNOs will have NFV trials in place and 20 percent will have a production implementation.
8. Consolidation of centralized SON players will peak.
9. Low-volume M2M projects will deliver growth to M2M specialists.
10. An influx of wearable tech entrants will open the door for downward price pressures to divide the market by device and use case.
About Yankee Group
Yankee Group is the preeminent research and advisory firm equipping companies to profit in a mobile world. The core of our content is proprietary research and analytics on the attitudes, behaviors and usage patterns of mobile users. We provide a range of actionable data, insights and advice to marketing, strategy and product executives driving the mobility revolution in leading companies worldwide. Visit www.yankeegroup.com.
SOURCE Yankee Group