Yellow Pages Recycling Rate Jumps to 36 Percent as Paper Usage Falls Additional 8 Percent, According to Report
Local Search Association Announces Sustainability Report Reflecting Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Framework
BERKELEY HEIGHTS, N.J., April 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Local Search Association, formerly the Yellow Pages Association, today released its second annual sustainability report – expanding its scope to follow the universally recognized Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) framework. The Association's 2011 sustainability report – titled "We're All in This Together" – offers a look at the progress directory publishers have made over the past year in regards to environmental, economic and social performance.
Key highlights include:
- An upgraded consumer website (www.yellowpagesoptout.com) that makes it even easier for consumers to choose to reduce or stop directory delivery.
- Directory paper demand decreased an additional 8.1 percent in 2010, totaling nearly 35 percent in paper reduction since 2007.
- Directory recovery rate increased to 36.9 percent (up from 21.4 percent the previous year), according to the latest Environmental Production Agency (EPA) data.
- Telephone directories continue to only represent 0.3 percent of the solid waste stream, significantly less than newspapers (3.2 percent) and office paper (2.2 percent).
- An array of strategic partnerships focused on environmental, economic and social performance.
"We understand that the environment, the local economy and the communities we serve are intrinsically linked," said Neg Norton , president of the Local Search Association. "This year, we're launching our Sustainability Committee to continue to develop sustainable business practices that make sense for our stakeholders, as well as to establish new benchmarks for our industry."
To learn more and to read the full report, visit the Local Search Association website at www.localsearchassociation.org.
About the Local Search Association
Formerly the Yellow Pages Association, the Local Search Association (www.localsearchassociation.org) is the largest trade organization of print, digital, mobile and social media that help local businesses get found and selected by ready-to-buy consumers. Association members include U.S. and international Yellow Pages companies, search engines, online listings and review sites, digital advertising agencies and mobile search providers. The Association has members in 29 countries.
Read the Local Search Association blog at www.localsearchinsider.com and follow @LocalSearchAssn on Twitter. To learn more about Yellow Pages advertising, visit www.buyyellow.com. To choose which phone books you receive, or stop delivery of all directories, visit www.yellowpagesoptout.com.
SOURCE Local Search Association
More by this Source
Telmetrics President Bill Dinan Elected Local Search Association Chairman
Apr 15, 2013, 17:03 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.