Young Americans (18-29) Say Less Government, Not More, Is Solution to Lack of Jobs in Generation Opportunity Poll
69% of Young Americans say Political Leaders in Washington Do Not Represent Their Interests
WASHINGTON, Aug. 18, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Generation Opportunity, the new, non-profit, non-partisan organization educating, engaging, and mobilizing young Americans 18-29 years old on the immediate and long-term economic challenges facing the nation, such as the lack of job opportunities and increasing debt and federal spending, is highlighting polling numbers outlining the views of young people on their preferred solutions to address record unemployment and the bad economy.
"Young Americans are looking for economic opportunity and they know the solution rests with job creators in small business and companies – not government," said Paul T. Conway, president of Generation Opportunity. "As they continue to work to make ends meet and weigh the costs of delayed dreams, young adults are sending a message to the President and Congress – stop your spending and get out of the way of those who actually know how to create jobs in America."
With over 925,000 fans on its Facebook page "Being American," Generation Opportunity has publicly emerged since June of 2011 as one of the largest and fastest growing social media and grassroots organizations in the United States, communicating daily with young American adults across the nation and the world. The organization is focused on long-term education, voter registration, and election turnout efforts through a combined social media and grassroots strategy.
YOUNG AMERICANS BY THE NUMBERS: GOVERNMENT SPENDING AND ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY
Generation Opportunity recently commissioned a poll with the polling company, inc./WomanTrend (April 16 – 22, 2011, +/- 4% margin of error) and highlights some of the results below:
The Human Cost of the Bad Economy: Delayed Dreams and Decisions
- 77% either have or will delay a major life change or purchase due to economic factors:
- 44% delay buying a home;
- 28% delay saving for retirement;
- 27% delay paying off student loans or other debt;
- 27% delay going back to school/getting more education or training;
- 26% delay changing jobs/cities;
- 23% delay starting a family; and
- 18% say delay getting married.
America's Young Adults - Unemployment, Government Spending, and Job Creation:
- Only 31% approve of President Obama's handling of youth unemployment.
- 76% would like to see U.S. federal government spending decreased.
- 69% prefer reducing U.S. federal spending over raising taxes on individuals in order to balance the Federal budget.
- 59% believe the U.S. economy grows best when individuals are allowed to create businesses without government interference.
- 53% indicate if U.S. taxes on business profits were reduced, companies would be more likely to hire.
America's Young Adults – A Look Ahead to 2012
- 69% say today's political leaders in the U.S. do not reflect the interests of young Americans.
- 57% also say they will learn more about the policy positions of U.S. Presidential candidates in the 2012 election than they did in 2008.
- 54% believe that things in the U.S. have pretty seriously gotten off on the wrong track; only 24% believe that things here the U.S. are headed in the right direction.
More About Generation Opportunity
Generation Opportunity is a non-profit, non-partisan 501 (c)(4) organization that seeks to engage everyone from young adults, to early career professionals, college students, young mothers and fathers, construction workers, current service men and women, veterans, entrepreneurs and all Americans who find themselves dissatisfied with the status quo and willing to create a better tomorrow.
Generation Opportunity operates on a strategy that combines advanced social media tactics with proven field tactics to reach Americans 18-29. The organization announced its first communications platform – "Being American," a Facebook page that has already amassed a fan base of more than 925,000 young Americans. The page posts links to relevant articles and reports from sources ranging from the U.S. General Accountability Office (GAO), to The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Brookings Institution, The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post, and The Heritage Foundation.
For our Spanish-language page – Generacion Oportunidad – click here.
CONTACT: Matthew Faraci, +1-202-997-1636, email@example.com
SOURCE Generation Opportunity
More by this Source
Generation Opportunity to Award CGI Federal with Prestigious Youth Defender Award
Oct 22, 2013, 13:31 ET
Millennial Jobs Report: Youth Unemployment at 16.1 percent in June
Jul 05, 2013, 09:32 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.