MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Jan. 31, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, YourMechanic, the leading national mobile car repair network, released a checklist with the top five ways to extend the life of a vehicle.
IHS Automotive reports that Americans are keeping their cars and light trucks for longer than previously reported -- an average of 11.5 years -- an increase attributed to both improved vehicle reliability and economic factors.
With 84 percent1 of vehicles on the road in need of a service or new part, YourMechanic surveyed hundreds of mechanics from more than 30 states to compile the top five tips car owners can follow as a guide to help extend the life of their vehicle:
- Keep up with oil changes. When oil levels are low, or oil is old, added friction between moving parts can cause wear and tear to the engine. Follow your owner's manual to determine the best intervals for changing oil. Check the brakes every time the oil is changed.
- Take care of your tires. Check and maintain proper tire pressure. Tires inflated within five pounds per square inch (PSI) of their recommended level improve gas mileage and general handling of your vehicle. Recommended PSI can be found in the owner's manual. Rotate tires every 5,000 to 8,000 miles.
- Check vehicle fluids. Vehicles rely on transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid and properly mixed coolant to run. Fluids need to be topped off for optimal vehicle performance throughout the life of the vehicle.
- Change air filters regularly. Dust and grime accumulates over time and can negatively impact gas mileage and engine performance.
- Take care of minor repairs when they arise. New noises or changes in the drivability of a vehicle should be checked out promptly.
Car owners are advised to follow the manufacturer's suggested service schedule for optimal performance.
YourMechanic is the industry leader in mobile car repair, offering more than 600 repair, maintenance, and diagnostic services. YourMechanic is available in the top 50 largest U.S. metropolitan areas. YourMechanic connects mobile mechanics to customers who seek affordable, convenient, and honest car repair services at their home or office, seven days a week. Mobile mechanics enjoy flexible hours and higher pay than at a shop or dealership.
Founded in 2012, YourMechanic has secured $32 million in funding. YourMechanic won TechCrunch Disrupt San Francisco in 2012 and holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Headquartered in Mountain View, California, YourMechanic is funded by SoftBank Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, Ashton Kutcher, Data Point Capital, and others. For more information on YourMechanic, to book a service, or to view current career opportunities, visit www.YourMechanic.com.
1Source: Car Care Council
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/yourmechanic-releases-top-five-maintenance-tips-for-car-owners-to-extend-vehicle-life-300399592.html