Zboard electric skateboard wins first ShowStoppers Launch.it pitch event
Judges select 8 companies from Eureka Park at CES to pitch for seed capital
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Zboard electric skateboard rolled out the winner of ShowStoppers Launch.it, a pitch-event created to help entrepreneurs in the Eureka Park startup zone at the International CES raise early seed capital from Angel investors.
Intuitive Motion, the company that builds the Zboard, was the top choice at the new event, organized by ShowStoppers, Launch.it, the New York Angels and the Consumer Electronics Association, which produces the International CES. Supporting members of the event included Gust, the world-wide official deal management platform for angel investing; plus Startup America, the Vegas Valley Angels, Vegas Tech , CEO Pitch Coach McAdory Lipscomb, and MSI PR.
Intuitive Motion seeks $750,000 in funding, in addition to the more than $278,000 it raised on Kickstarter.
Dhama Innovations took second place at the standing-room only event, attended by more than 230 journalists, bloggers and investors. The startup holds a patent-pending technology called ClimaCon® that instantly cools and heats between 25 degrees F to 140 degrees F for diverse pain-relief applications.
Third place went to Troop ID, which digitally verifies military credentials for brands and government agencies, allowing men and women serving in the military to claim discounts and benefits.
Moderated by Brian Cohen, chairman of New York Angeles, the panel of judges chose what they deemed was the most investor-worthy startup from eight presenters – selected in turn from more than 25 companies that applied.
The five other presenters included:
- Asius Technology, maker of a device that converts earbud sound to energy to power a pump that inflates a bubble in the ear.
- iBoard Canada Manufacturing Inc., maker of an interactive whiteboard.
- Pervasive Group Inc., maker of a comprehensive mobile parental control platform for Smartphones.
- Integrated Surface Technology, which has developed a Plasma System for phone sellers/repair shops to protect portable electronics with a water-resistant coating.
- VIOTECH Communications, maker of the My e-Home® system for smart homes.
- Brian R. Clark, founder and managing partner at CaneClark, a law firm specializing in securities law and venture finance, and a member of Vegas Valley Angels.
- Ian McNeil, co-founder and principal at Brennan Capital Partners, an independent venture capital and private equity firm, and a member of Vegas Valley Angels.
- Guy Kawasaki, co-founder of Alltop.com; founding partner at Garage Technology Ventures; and former chief evangelist of Apple. Kawasaki is the author of ten books, including Enchantment and the forthcoming APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur--How to Publish a Book.
- Larry Richenstein, managing director, Peak Ventures. The last startup he founded was Unwired Technology, the world's largest supplier of wireless headphones, which he sold in 2005.
- Jeffrey Silverman, partner, Laconia Ventures, an early stage venture capital firm. Silverman has over 20 years leadership positions in early stage media and technology companies.
"The venture funding and Angel communities know that the entrepreneurial future of consumer electronics is strong," said Brian Cohen, chairman of New York Angels and chief executive officer of Launch.it. "The eight finalists at the ShowStoppers Launch.it pitchfest all made very professional pitches for funding. Our Startup America partnership and having Guy Kawasaki as one the judges helped make the event a more recognized place for entrepreneurs to raise seed capital, then build and grow successful companies."
The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), www.ce.org, is the preeminent trade association promoting growth in the $206 billion U.S. consumer electronics industry. More than 2,000 companies enjoy the benefits of CEA membership, including legislative advocacy, market research, technical training and education, industry promotion, standards development and the fostering of business and strategic relationships. CEA also owns and produces the International CES – The Global Stage for Innovation. All profits from CES are reinvested into CEA's industry services.
Now in its 20th year, ShowStoppers, www.showstoppers.com, is the global leader in producing press and business events spanning the US, Europe and Asia. Each event organizes product introductions, sneak previews and demonstrations for selected journalists, bloggers, industry and financial analysts, venture capitalists and business executives. Industry leaders, innovators and startups exhibit to help generate news coverage and product reviews, make new connections, promote brand, and open new markets. ShowStoppers produces events at CES, CTIA and Mobile World Congress, among others, and the official press events at IFA, NAB, Sandbox Summit and the CEA LineShow.
LaunchIt, www.launch.it, is a self-publishing event news and social information management platform that "leaves no new product, service or idea behind," where companies use built-in social networking tools to engage directly with the media and consumers around the world. ShowStoppers works with LaunchIt to power a ShowStoppers-branded news service that is socially engaged, to better connect startups and industry leaders with consumers and journalists.
+1 516 225-7417
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.