Focus On Your Positive "Gains" This New Year's Resolution Season
Women Are Encouraged to Approach Weight Management With a Positive Attitude on Special K® "Gain Day" With Advice From Leading Experts
BATTLE CREEK, Mich., Jan. 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With New Year's Day festivities officially concluded, Special K is making January 2 a celebration of its own, inviting women to be a part of "Gain Day" – a day to focus on all you can "gain" as you lose weight in the year ahead. A recent study, commissioned by Special K titled, "Positivity and Weight Management: A Look at the Gains," revealed that women who think positively about weight management were more likely to achieve their specific weight loss goals. As women commit to their New Year's resolutions, they're encouraged to join women around the world who have already started focusing on the positive as they "weighed in" online about what they want to "gain" when they lose in 2013 as part of a recently-launched Gains Project.
The Gains Project, which launched in early December, is an online destination at www.SpecialK.com that serves as a positive forum for women to share their desired "gains" with others and be inspired by one another as they think about weight management goals for the year ahead. The positive "gains" shared by real women around the globe have been as varied as the women themselves, ranging from"Smiling each time I look in the mirror" and "Energy and self confidence" to "Being healthy and a role model for my daughter."
Now that it's time to commit to resolutions, women can not only continue to share their gains as part of the nationwide celebration of "Gain Day" on January 2, but they can also take action to start achieving them.
To help women put the power of positivity to work for them, Special K sought the expertise of Northwestern University psychologist and body image researcher, Renee Engeln, Ph.D.; and nutrition and fitness expert and author Dr. Wendy Bazilian, RD. These leading experts weighed in on the Special K study, "Positivity and Weight Management: A Look at the Gains" and offered their advice on how women can embrace this thinking and maintain that positivity throughout their weight management journey.
"This is a great time of year to try a new approach to weight management – one that reframes the journey in a positive way," said Dr. Renee Engeln. "Women are accustomed to thinking about their bodies in terms of what they don't want to be instead of what they can become, what they need to get rid of instead of what they have to gain. Gain Day is an opportunity for women to try out a new, positive perspective when it comes to their weight-related goals."
Advice From the Experts: Staying Positive – It's a Mind Game That Can Be Won
Working together, Dr. Engeln and Dr. Bazilian developed the following "positivity tips" for women as they get started on the path to achieving their weight management goals:
- Use your words, the positive kind. Incorporate positive statements into your daily vernacular saying "Healthy feels great" or "I want to gain confidence and pizazz!"
- Lean on a community based in positivity. Use your network of family and friends to support one another. The Special K study found that women who lost or maintained their weight were three times as likely to rely on friends as a form of support. You can also be a positive role model for those around you as you instill positivity into your weight management approach.
- Take it step-by-step Break up your goal into realistic, bite-size pieces or make small adjustments to your everyday life. Then, reward yourself for the "small" victories to empower you to continue onward towards reaching your goals.
- Don't compromise on taste. The Special K study found that limited food options or tasteless "health foods" can be a main barrier to achieving your weight management goals. Pack your day with a satisfying selection of cereal, fresh fruit, trail mix or healthier versions of your favorite foods, like Special K Popcorn Chips or snack bars.
By visiting www.SpecialK.com, women can receive ongoing support through customized plans, recipes and information, including signing up for the Special K Challenge™ to kick-start their efforts. They can also join in the conversation on Facebook and with @SpecialKUS on Twitter.
- Women who think positively about weight management are more likely to report weight loss. Resolve 2 succeed w/ @SpecialKUS bit.ly/v4SB3v
- Join @SpecialKUS on Gain Day Jan 2. Share what you want to gain when you lose weight bit.ly/v4SB3v #GainsProject #newyearresolution
- Join women who have "weighed in" so far at the @SpecialKUS #GainsProject. Commit to your goals in 2013 bit.ly/v4SB3v
About the Special K Study "Positivity and Weight Management: A Look at the Gains"
The study, produced by Edelman Berland, is based on quantitative data collected from a national telephone survey of 1,004 weight conscious women, ages 25-54 in the United States. The sample was broken out by those with a positive and negative approach by screening participants for specific weight management attitudes and behaviors, including how they view themselves and others. The interviews were conducted August 29 – September 18, 2012.
About Kellogg Company
Driven to enrich and delight the world through foods and brands that matter, Kellogg Company (NYSE: K) is the world's leading producer of cereal, second largest producer of cookies and crackers and - through the May 2012 acquisition of the iconic Pringles® business - the world's second largest savory snacks company. In addition, Kellogg is a leading producer of frozen foods. Every day, our well-loved brands - produced in 18 countries and marketed in more than 180 countries - nourish families so they can flourish and thrive. With 2011 sales of more than $13 billion, these brands include Cheez-It®, Coco Pops®, Corn Flakes®, Eggo®, Frosted Flakes®, Kashi®, Keebler®, Kellogg's®, Mini-Wheats®, Pop-Tarts®, Pringles®, Rice Krispies®, Special K®, and many more. To learn more about Kellogg Company, including our corporate responsibility initiatives and rich heritage, please visit www.kelloggcompany.com.
SOURCE Kellogg Company
More by this Source
Kellogg Company 2014 Annual Shareowners Meeting to be Webcast Live
Mar 11, 2014, 13:35 ET
Kellogg Company Announces Pricing of Tender Offer
Mar 07, 2014, 15:47 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.