FORT WORTH, Texas, Oct. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- As the holiday season quickly approaches, new research shows that 78 percent of Americans who plan to take a holiday trip will road trip to their destination. Almost three in five (58%) holiday travelers believe it's important to gear up with technology before their next holiday trip, according to a recent online survey of over 2,000 U.S. adults conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of RadioShack.
The great American road trip has been immortalized in pop culture through iconic scenes from movies like National Lampoon's Vacation, Little Miss Sunshine, and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. While those movies are great for laughs, you might not want to live through some of the stressful moments in real life.
RadioShack has the right technology to make sure you keep moving and stay connected as you travel over the next few months, as well as the vital accessories to keep gadgets charged and secure. Check out these travel tips to stay ahead on this year's holiday road trip.
- Stay Safe: Back to Basics
- The average distance for travelers from home to the destination of their next holiday trip is 760 miles. Traffic and winter weather will likely play a role in planning your journey. While staying on top of weather reports with a RadioShack brand portable emergency weather crank radio ($29.99), make sure to have a proper emergency kit in the car, including a Whistler Jump & Go portable jumpstart kit ($119.99). If things take a turn for the worse, a Mophie Helium Juice Pack ($99.99) can keep smartphones powered up while calling roadside assistance.
- Keep the Peace
- Three in 10 (31%) holiday road trips will include children under the age of 18, so expect fights over backseat boundaries if they get bored. Keep tablets and phones powered up by charging battery-drained devices with RadioShack's portable power accessories (from $14.99) available in sizes and colors to complement most devices. Consider picking up a 4-port USB Travel Hub ($29.99), which is able to connect and power four devices using one USB port.
- Seventy five percent of American travelers entertain themselves and their families by listening to music. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to listen to the same thing. RadioShack's AUVIO brand of sound products offers a complete line of headphones, including the AUVIO Bluetooth Headphones ($49.99), just in case not everyone loves dad's Sinatra. For the fashion-forward member of the family, the AUVIO Limited Edition Wood-grain Headphones ($99.99) and wood-grain accented earbuds ($29.99) deliver superior sound with a sleek, retro look. For hands-free listening, the Bluetooth Plantronics BackBeat Go 2 Earbuds ($79.99) allow travelers to take calls or jam out without getting tangled in wires.
- That Just Happened: Document the Fun
- Along the way, document highlights of the adventure with a Cobra Dash Cam ($99.99). The swivel design allows you to film the road or the interior. For a device that has your back in the event of an accident, try the Cobra HD Dash Cam with GPS ($149.99), which pinpoints location, time, g-force and speed in every video. For more mobile videoing capabilities, make sure to pack the GoPro HERO3+ Silver Edition HD Action Camcorder ($299.99).
- RadioShack carries the latest smartphone devices from top brands, including the Apple iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 Plus and the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, to help you capture the perfect footage for your next Vine or to create the best selfie. Get the perfect angle or take a group selfie with the Bluetooth-enabled Digital Energy Selfie Stick ($19.99). Capture crisp, clear, up-close shots with the Kodak PIXPRO SL10 Smart Lens Camera ($199.99) – a professional lens that connects to your smartphone through an app.
- After a long drive in the car, challenge the family to get active and track the activity on the latest wearable technology, like the Jawbone UP wristband ($79.99) or Fitbit Flex ($99.99).
- Avoid Traffic Nightmares
- One third (33%) of holiday road travelers cited traffic as the most stressful aspect when thinking about their next holiday trip. You can turn to a smartphone or tablet, like the Fire HD6 ($99.99), to navigate the roads. In case you'd rather be using your phone to take calls or listen to music, a GPS unit can serve as co-pilot. This $179.99 Garmin helps you avoid traffic before you get to it with voice prompts. It comes with free lifetime map updates and can use recognizable buildings or landmarks to guide you.
- Always in Control: Home Automation
- While traveling, you can feel confident that your home is secure and energy efficient with RadioShack's selection of home automation technology. The Samsung SmartCam HD Pro Full HD Wi-Fi IP Cam ($189.99) allows you to keep an eye on your belongings from your smartphone or tablet. Even though you are miles away, your home is still using electricity. The Belkin WeMo Insight Energy Use Switch ($59.99) uses Wi-Fi or a 3/4G connection to allow consumers to track and control energy usage with their smartphone. Users can also turn electronics on and off with their device. For a complete peace-of-mind kit, the INSTEON Assurance Kit ($199.99) connects to your home router and then uses device modules to link to lights, doors, faucets and cameras. The kit comes with the INSTEON hub, two light dimmers, one leak sensor and one motion sensor, which can all be linked together for custom security.
Stop by your local RadioShack to stock up on road-trip essentials before you hit the road this holiday season.
RadioShack commissioned Harris Poll to conduct the online survey from September 5-9, 2014 among 2,013 Americans (of whom 1,332 plan on traveling this holiday season or in the future), ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Media.Relations@RadioShack.com.
About RadioShack Corporation
RadioShack (NYSE: RSH) is a leading retailer focused on connecting customers with personalized solutions and discovering what's possible through the latest in consumer technology. The company's updated product assortment incorporates national brands, industry-leading private brand products, and in-demand mobile devices from a wide selection of wireless carriers. Customers can shop top brands in headphones and speakers, wearable technology, smart toys and DIY supplies, connected home, power accessories and home entertainment at www.radioshack.com or in store. RadioShack's global retail network includes more than 4,400 company-operated stores in the United States and Mexico and more than 1,200 dealer stores in 25 countries. RadioShack employs approximately 27,000 knowledgeable associates globally to help customers find their technology solution. For more information on RadioShack Corporation, please visit www.radioshackcorporation.com. Find RadioShack on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. RadioShack® is a registered trademark licensed by RadioShack Corporation.
News Media Contact: Media Relations, +1-817-415-3300, Media.Relations@RadioShack.com
SOURCE RadioShack Corporation