Georgia Power helps customers fight summer heat Company offers energy efficiency resources, bill payment assistance as high temperatures return to Georgia in August
ATLANTA, Aug. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- As the heat of the Georgia summer returns following a period of cooler weather, Georgia Power is reminding customers that focusing on energy efficiency can help keep their homes cool and reduce the impact of the hot weather on power bills. As part of continued efforts to help customers save energy and money, the company has made it easy to find energy efficiency solutions and advice at www.GeorgiaPower.com and is sharing tips and advice throughout the summer on Twitter using the hashtag #SaveEnergy.
Some of the summer-specific tips available from Georgia Power include:
- See the SEER. When purchasing a window- or wall-mounted cooling unit, choose a model with the highest possible Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER). The higher the rating, the more efficient the unit.
- Maximize your flow. Change or clean air conditioner filters regularly to maximize efficiency and keep air vents clear of any obstructions, like furniture or drapes.
- Cool air belongs inside. Sealing doors and windows to stop air leaks can lower bills by up to 10 percent. Adding additional attic insulation can also improve efficiency and reduce bills.
- Keep a lid on it. Covering pots and pans when cooking not only helps cook food more efficiently, but reduces "heat buildup" in your home.
- Film your windows. Installing solar or "reflective film" on windows can block a large portion of incoming sunlight, reducing heat gain in the summer and heat loss in the winter.
Other programs and services available at www.GeorgiaPower.com include a free online energy checkup, the ability to schedule a free in-home energy audit and access to a variety of rebates and incentives which can make energy efficiency improvements even more cost effective for home owners and businesses. Additionally, the company's My Power Usage program, a free service connected to Georgia Power online accounts, allows customers to track their daily energy use online, project their month bill and stay within a set energy budget by signing up for account notifications.
Even with energy efficiency and careful planning, higher temperatures can mean higher bills. If customers need assistance paying their bill, Georgia Power is here to help. The company works with customers to coordinate payment arrangements and can connect them with community organizations which may be able to help them pay their bill. Additional information about bill payment assistance is available at www.GeorgiaPower.com/assistance, via phone at 888-660-5890 or by visiting a local Georgia Power office.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.4 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, advanced coal and natural gas, renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind, as well as a variety of energy efficiency programs. Consistently recognized as a leader in customer service, Georgia Power was recently ranked highest in overall business customer satisfaction among large utilities in the South by J.D. Power and Associates. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).
SOURCE Georgia Power