Updated Design Evokes Global Health Mission
ROCKVILLE, Md., April 15, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Celebrating nearly two centuries of dedication to science, standards and health, the U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) has unveiled a new logo and tagline that convey the organization's key role in helping to ensure the quality of medicines and foods around the world. USP's new look is a visual expression of the principles embodied in the organization's strategic plan, which articulates a truly global vision supported by organizational initiatives and beliefs. Remaining committed to strengthening and expanding its core compendial mission, USP will also continue building allied compendial programs and exploring emerging health needs. The new logo and the strategic plan both grow out of USP's fundamental strengths: global expertise and trusted standards that improve health. The logo may be viewed at http://www.usp.org/new-usp-logo-en.
"USP's transformation since its founding by 11 physicians in 1820 has truly been remarkable," observed Roger L. Williams, M.D., USP's chief executive officer. "As an organization, we remain deeply rooted in our practitioner history while keeping pace with dramatic changes in the science, technology, industry, human needs and global regulatory environment for medicines, foods and supplements. Because USP is a private, independent organization, it is well positioned to convene stakeholders representing diverse areas of expertise and national backgrounds, all with the goal of advancing health around the world. USP's strategic plan and the new logo and tagline both represent this. It is something our many volunteer experts, Convention members, staff and other stakeholders can be proud of. And—most importantly—providers, patients and consumers all benefit from USP's ongoing commitment to good-quality medicines and foods."
Notable elements of the new logo include:
- The abbreviated name "USP" is retained, which is known around the world and is strongly associated with both scientific rigor and health impact.
- The organization's formal name is added—U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention. This emphasizes USP's non-governmental status (nearly unique among the world's pharmacopoeias) as well as the 450 health-focused organizations that comprise the Convention membership.
- The "P" and "C" are combined into a single, open-ended character signifying the unity of the Convention with its collaborative standards-setting process.
- The logo incorporates a gold sphere, signifying USP's reputation as "the gold standard" of quality, the globe that USP serves and aspirations for universal access to good-quality medicines, foods and supplements.
- The logo colors have softened, from black and metallic gold to blue and a warmer golden shade. The clean, contemporary font was created by USP specifically for the new logo.
Together, the new logo and tagline reflect USP's global expertise in developing trusted standards for drugs, food ingredients and dietary supplements—which results in improved health around the world.
Nearly two centuries ago USP's founders sought to bring quality and uniformity to medicines in the United States. Today, USP remains committed to that mission, broadened to achieve global impact. Stakeholders will see a transition period during which both the new and old logos will appear; over time, and in a phased manner, the new logo will completely replace the old.
USP—Advancing Health Since 1820
USP is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, quality, purity and strength of medicines, food ingredients and dietary supplements. The organization's mission is to improve global health through public standards and related programs that help ensure the quality, safety and benefit of medicines and foods. USP's standards are used worldwide. For more information about USP visit http://www.usp.org.
SOURCE U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention