PA Insurance Department Announces 2011 Enforcement and Market Conduct Actions
HARRISBURG, Pa., Jan. 25, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Pennsylvania Insurance Department's Office of Market Regulation closed 334 enforcement actions and market conduct examinations in 2011. The department issued 141 orders and adjudications, collected more than $900,000 in penalties and fines and recovered $3.2 million in restitution for consumers.
Action is taken after an investigation reveals violations of Pennsylvania statutes or regulations, or after the completion of a market conduct examination. Enforcement actions conclude with the issuance of a consent order, a settlement agreement, or an order and adjudication.
The results of the actions are as follows:
- 37 individual insurance licenses were revoked or surrendered to the department.
- 57 licenses were placed under various periods of supervision.
- 16 waivers were issued, placing individuals under indefinite supervision due to prior felony convictions.
The reasons for the actions were the result of companies and/or agents:
- Using unapproved insurance contracts.
- Misappropriating premium dollars.
- Forging or altering signatures of policyholder applications.
- Failing to disclose prior felony and misdemeanor convictions.
- Selling unlicensed health plans.
- Lying on license applications or renewal forms.
A comprehensive list of enforcement actions taken by the department is available online in the consumer protection section at www.insurance.pa.gov.
Media contact: Rosanne Placey or Melissa Fox, 717-787-3289
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Insurance
More by this Source
Pennsylvania Protects Consumers in Reaching Settlement with Three CIGNA Companies
May 22, 2013, 12:44 ET
PA Insurance Department Revokes Nine Licenses in First Quarter Enforcement Actions
May 10, 2013, 11:57 ET
Insurance Department Approves Highmark's Transaction with West Penn Allegheny Health System
Apr 29, 2013, 10:05 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.