MEMPHIS, Tenn., Oct. 25, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Now in its thirteenth year, the St. Jude Thanks and Giving® campaign has transformed the holiday season into a time of giving thanks by raising awareness and funds for the ongoing battle to end childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Throughout November and December, consumers are asked to support the campaign by shopping at more than 70 leading national brands and sharing what they #GiveThanks for using social media.
What began as a holiday-focused fundraising effort by St. Jude has now grown into an annual tradition that unites celebrities, media, retail and corporate partners to support the lifesaving mission of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
"The St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign embodies the true spirit of the holiday season," said Marlo Thomas, National Outreach Director for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. "Through this vital annual program, we give thanks for the healthy kids in our lives, and give to those who are not. Each year, we are also deeply grateful to all those who open their hearts to the children of St. Jude and, in doing so, enable our doctors and scientists to continue their groundbreaking research, which leads to lifesaving treatments for our patients. Because of that support, we are able to hold fast to our founding promise that no family receives a bill from St. Jude for anything -- not for treatment, travel, housing or food -- because all a family should worry about is helping their child live."
Campaign partners represent a cross-section of brands including retail, restaurant, travel, hospitality, media and beyond. Top returning campaign partners include Kmart, Best Buy; Kay® Jewelers; ANN INC.; HomeGoods; Domino's; Chili's Grill & Bar; New York & Company; Williams-Sonoma, Inc.; AutoZone; Carnival Cruise Line; Dollar General; Brooks Brothers; Christopher & Banks; GNC; Claire's; Mazda; Marshalls; and HSN, to name a few.
"Kmart's customers and associates are once again honored and inspired to support St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital through the St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign. As Kmart approaches the $100 million lifetime donations benchmark, we are thankful and humbled by the generosity we have generated from our partnership campaigns and look forward to another successful holiday season. Our commitment to St. Jude is fueled by the unmeasurable dedication, passion and love that is exemplified by the families and staff of St. Jude each and every day," said Alasdair James, President and Chief Member Officer at Kmart.
This year, St. Jude partners are expanding their efforts and supporting the campaign in a variety of ways – from in-store fundraising to unique cross-promotions, events and online/mobile features. New partners joining the campaign include Zales, Piercing Pagoda, 7-Eleven, Lane Bryant and Toys"R"Us.
Other partner highlights include:
- Kmart will once again make available its popular The Giving HatTM, a stylish winter knit hat created by Kmart to encourage giving to St. Jude. One dollar of each $5 hat sold will be donated to St. Jude.
- Best Buy hopes to build upon the $10.2 million they raised during last year's campaign by allowing customers to give through their credit card signature pads or online at BestBuy.com.
- Merchandise will be sold during the holidays to benefit St. Jude from partners Ann Taylor, Brooks Brothers, Hammermill, HomeGoods, HSN, Kmart, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, Pottery Barn Teen, New York & Company, The Limited, TUMI, west elm, Williams-Sonoma, and others.
- The annual plush campaign from Kay® Jewelers benefiting St. Jude, this year featuring Kit and Kobie. Each plush retails for $13.99 with all proceeds benefiting St. Jude.
- Opportunity from Domino's for consumers to donate to St. Jude via in-store, telephone, online and mobile orders, as well as the purchase of a St. Jude Meal Deal during the campaign timeframe. For each Meal Deal purchased, Domino's will donate $1 to St. Jude.
The campaign receives a boost of awareness from national theatre partners including Regal Entertainment Group, Cinemark USA, Carmike Cinemas, Malco Theatres and many others that showcase a star-studded St. Jude Thanks and Giving trailer. American Airlines and Delta Air Lines provide support via in-flight video promotion, inclusion in their in-flight magazines and social media. In addition, AccentHealth, America's leading waiting room media network, also shows the St. Jude PSA in physician offices around the country.
"Each year our St. Jude Thanks and Giving partners unite millions of people for one purpose, to help St. Jude find cures and save the lives of children battling cancer and other life-threatening diseases," said Richard Shadyac Jr., President and CEO of ALSAC, the fundraising and awareness organization for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. "This holiday season we give thanks for that support, which enables us to help the many families who turn to St. Jude for lifesaving care and groundbreaking research for their children."
To join the fight against childhood cancer this holiday season:
- Donate at stjude.org and visit the site to learn more.
- Shop with participating businesses and donate at the register. Visit stjude.org for a complete list of partners.
- Follow @StJude on social media and find a photo (or snap a new one) of what you are thankful for. Then post the photo to Instagram, Twitter or Facebook tagging @StJude and #GiveThanks.
About St. Jude Children's Research Hospital:
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other deadly diseases. St. Jude has the world's best survival rates for the most aggressive childhood cancers, and treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20 percent to 80 percent since we opened more than 50 years ago. St. Jude is working to drive the overall survival rate for childhood cancer to 90 percent, and we won't stop until no child dies from cancer. St. Jude freely shares the discoveries we make, and every child saved at St. Jude means doctors and scientists worldwide can use that knowledge to save thousands more children. Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing and food – because all a family should worry about is helping their child live. Join the St. Jude mission by visiting stjude.org or following St. Jude on facebook.com/stjude and twitter.com/stjude.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/st-jude-childrens-research-hospital-and-more-than-70-leading-brands-ask-consumers-to-givethanks-while-they-shop-this-holiday-season-during-st-jude-thanks-and-giving-campaign-300350756.html
SOURCE St. Jude Children's Research Hospital