St. Jude Children's Research Hospital® Launches 10th Annual St. Jude Thanks and Giving Campaign
New partners Best Buy, GameStop and Tween Brands join campaign stalwarts Kmart, CVS/pharmacy, Ann Taylor, HSNi and DICK's Sporting Goods and the more than 60 leading brands supporting St. Jude's lifesaving mission
Decade-long campaign has raised more than $387MM for treatment and research of childhood cancer
MEMPHIS, Tenn., Sept. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Over the past decade, thanks to the support of millions of consumers and today's leading companies who give, the St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign has turned the annual holiday shopping season into more than $387 million invested in research and treatment in the ongoing battle to end childhood cancer. National retailers, like top returning campaign partner Kmart, are kicking off the holiday retail shopping season earlier than ever before, giving consumers more time to spread holiday goodwill by supporting the St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other deadly diseases. Created by Marlo, Terre and Tony Thomas – children of St. Jude founder Danny Thomas – the St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign began as a holiday-focused fundraising effort and has grown into an annual tradition with tremendous public support. Kicking off Thanksgiving week and running through the end of December, it is an unprecedented union of celebrities, media, retail and corporate partners that ask consumers to donate while they shop and join St. Jude in finding cures and saving children.
"St. Jude is where doctors send their toughest cases because we have the world's best survival rates for the most aggressive childhood cancers – and we won't stop until no child dies from cancer," said Marlo Thomas, National Outreach Director for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. "It means so much to us that our incredible St. Jude Thanks and Giving partners have opened their hearts and offered the strength of their successful brands in support of our lifesaving work. Their commitment helps us stay true to my father's founding promise that families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food – because all a family should worry about is helping their child live."
More than 60 leading businesses will support this year's campaign, representing a cross-section of premier brands in retail, travel, hospitality and media. These businesses help raise funds and awareness for St. Jude with customers during the holiday season, providing them an easy way to support St. Jude's lifesaving mission. Because the majority of St. Jude funding comes from individual contributors, St. Jude has the freedom to focus on what matters most – saving kids regardless of their financial situation.
St. Jude will receive continued support from top returning campaign partners like Kmart, CVS/pharmacy, ANN INC., DICK'S Sporting Goods, Williams-Sonoma, GNC, New York & Company, Domino's, Coca-Cola and Claire's Stores, Inc. They are joined by an infusion of exciting first year partners that include Best Buy, GameStop, Tween Brands, Christopher & Banks, Tommy Hilfiger and Stage Stores.
Kmart was named St. Jude's Corporate Partner of the Year after raising a single year record of more than $7.5 million during last year's St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign and more than $37 million since becoming a partner in 2006. This year, Kmart is rewarding Shop Your Way members who give back -- members will receive a coupon for five percent back in points on their next qualifying in-store or online merchandise purchase, through January.
"The St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign is a reminder to all that the holiday season is a time to give thanks for the healthy children in our lives and give to those who are not," said Clay Wahl, senior vice president of Kmart Retail Services. "Our holiday season at Kmart would not be the same without St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. We're always humbled by the outpouring of support from our Shop Your Way members, customers and associates, who are the key to what we're able to do to help the families of St. Jude."
"As we kick off the 10th year of the St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign, it's remarkable to reflect on the tremendous impact our corporate partners, their employees and their customers are having on countless children fighting cancer and other deadly diseases," said Richard Shadyac Jr., CEO of ALSAC/St. Jude. "These dedicated supporters help ensure St. Jude continues its critical work in finding cures and saving children."
In 2013, the St. Jude Thanks and Giving partners continue to expand and support the campaign in a variety of ways – from in-store fundraising to unique cross-promotions and online/mobile features. Highlights include:
- CVS/pharmacy and DICK'S Sporting Goods are among the campaign's many retail partners who will give their customers the opportunity to donate to St. Jude through an add-on at registers in-store.
- Domino's Pizza will again team with Coca-Cola to offer the St. Jude Meal Deal. Domino's will donate $1 from the purchase price of each combo to St. Jude.
- Brooks Brothers will host its 8th annual holiday celebration in its flagship store in New York while adding a second event in its new San Francisco flagship store.
- Expedia will re-launch its "Find Your Strength" video with a Share, Match and Groupon Getaways initiative for Expedia customers and will donate up to $50,000 to St. Jude.
- Ann Taylor will offer specialty merchandise to benefit St. Jude, including an Elephant Statement Bracelet, Elephant Pendant Necklace, Elephant Stud Earrings and an Elephant Key Chain.
- HSN, Inc., through its philanthropic arm HSNi Cares, will again offer consumers the opportunity to purchase 2013 HSN heART Designer Ornaments, designed by celebrities such as by Marlo Thomas, Giuliana Rancic, Martha Stewart, Iris Apfel, Jeffrey Banks and many more. In addition, donations will be collected by HSNi's portfolio of lifestyle brands including: Frontgate, Ballard Designs, Garnet Hill and others.
- Kay Jewelers and Jared the Galleria of Jewelry aim to sell more than 500,000 plush animals with the proceeds benefitting St. Jude.
- In its first year, Best Buy will offer its customers the ability to make a $1 add-on donation at the registers of its more than 1,000 Best Buy stores in the U.S and Puerto Rico.
- American Airlines and Delta Airlines will promote the St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign via in-flight video promotion, inclusion in their in-flight magazines and social media support.
- First-year partner GameStop will offer its customers the ability to make a $1 donation at the registers of its more than 4,000 stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
- National theatre partners including Regal Entertainment Group, Cinemark and Carmike Cinemas will showcase St. Jude Thanks and Giving's star-studded trailer to promote awareness and donations during the campaign.
There are several ways for consumers to support St. Jude throughout the campaign, including:
- Adding a donation at registers during the checkout process while shopping at participating partners where you see the St. Jude logo. Visit stjude.org for a complete list of participating partners.
- Purchasing specialty merchandise at participating partners or at the St. Jude Gift Shop to benefit St. Jude.
- Donating online at stjude.org or calling 1-800-4STJUDE.
- Making a donation in memory or honor of a loved one and sending a special St. Jude Thanks and Giving tribute card. Tribute cards can be found on stjude.org.
- Participating in the St. Jude Give thanks. Walk.TM, the official kickoff event for the St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign held on Saturday, Nov. 23 in 75 communities nationwide. Supporters join together for this family friendly 5K during the holidays as teams and individuals to help raise funds for the kids of St. Jude. National partner teams include New York and Company, Brooks Brothers and AutoTrader.com. Visit givethankswalk.org for a complete list of locations.
About St. Jude Children's Research Hospital:
Since opening 50 years ago, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital has changed the way the world treats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. No family ever pays St. Jude for the care their child receives and, for every child treated here, thousands more have been saved worldwide through St. Jude discoveries. The hospital has played a pivotal role in pushing U.S. pediatric cancer survival rates from 20 to 80 percent overall, and is the first and only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center devoted to children. It is also a leader in the research and treatment of blood disorders and infectious diseases in children. St. Jude was founded by the late entertainer Danny Thomas, who believed that no child should die in the dawn of life. Join that mission by visiting stjude.org or following us on facebook.com/stjude and twitter.com/stjude.
SOURCE St. Jude Children's Research Hospital